Monday 29 December 2008

Twitter.


Where I am currently staying ( which does feel like solitary confinement in some ways ) there are several bird tables in the back garden...which backs on to open fields. I've been given instructions on bird feeding and I have to say that it feels as though they are keeping me company at the moment, which is rather nice.

This morning I was suddenly struck by a flash of pink on the table. My eyes seem to be quite finely tuned to shades of pink and red in recent years and I was captivated by it enough to go and get the binoculars. 

It wasn't a chaffinch...I'm familiar with their shades of pink....and this was a different shade altogether....more vibrant.

After some researching I think it was Scarlet Rosefinch ( what a lovely name!! ) and even though they are very distinctive  I'm still uncertain because it seems an unlikely time of year and they are not all that common...

Then I started imagining...I wondered what the mythology was behind this particular bird... and felt that maybe, just maybe, it was the bird that finds it way to you when a smacked bottom is due.

Clever bird.

I am probably procrastinating just a little from my work...posting about beautiful birds on this particular blog ;-)


8 comments:

Eliane said...

Posting about birds when you *should* be working?! Yes, Olivia, I think that rosy red bird WAS a warning!
Don't worry, I won't tell on you though ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Olivia:
Actually I was thinking the same thing Eliane was. But I understand the need for breaks.It sound like you are staying at a beautiful estate.
Take Care,
Andrades Girl

OliviaManners said...

Eliane

I am * allowed * breaks!
Just not whole day ones.... which is fair I think.
And you'll notice I didn't even come on to MSN last night so I am being good!

:-)

Olivia
x

Andrades,

Thank you for your understanding!
Hmm...it isn't really a beautiful estate, but I am surrounded by beautiful countryside.

Olivia
x

Eliane said...

I did actually notice, Olivia, so yes, you get brownie points for that... I, on the other hand, was still on there when I should have been cleaning. So I really shouldn't preach to people who have much more discipline than me!

Anonymous said...

What about a linnet or a red poll?

OliviaManners said...

Mr. C,

Thank you for drawing those two other breeds to my attention!

Upon reflection and after some musing over google images of a Linnet and a Red Poll...I think it may have been a Linnet ... and especially as they are more common in these areas at this time of year.

Scarlet Rosefinch is a far prettier name though!

So I may leave it undecided ..unless it appears again and I can get a second opinion.

Olivia
x

Greenwoman said...

Ah....You over due for a spanking?

I know what you mean. I guess in due time we'll both get what's coming to us. *winks*

I send you warm scarlet thoughts. *smiles*

OliviaManners said...

* grins*

Hello Shannee

I am indeed due a spanking.... a naughty girl one and a good girl one...

I hope we both get them soon !

Hugs,

Olivia
x