Wednesday 31 December 2008

A New Year. And Looking At A Special Star.




This will be the first time in 5 years that I have not spent New Year's Eve by water.

Water is very significant to me. I was a water baby, swimming effortlessly from a very young age, almost as if I was more natural in water than on the earth. Water draws me in, and maybe especially at this time of year I look to it because of the ebb and flow of the waves or the sense of movement in a river. It embodies renewal for me and the hopefulness of re-creation. And there is also a certain stillness to water that encourages time for reflection too.

It has also played a part in my New Year's ritual which has involved writing and sending things out to sea, or down stream. Physically releasing any heaviness from the past year as words on to paper and then setting them loose. Last year I wasn't by the sea, but travelled to a quiet spot by an estuary of the Thames with a friend. Standing by the edge we let our pieces of paper fall out of our hands hoping to watch the water take them away from us. Funnily, mine got stuck on a muddy bank. 

We both turned to one another and smiled. Part amusement, part frustration, part just at the sweet irony. I think she knew, without any need for the spoken word, what my envelope contained, what I was hoping to be able to let go of.  There wasn't even any question of us going down to the bank and trying to help it on its way, I think we both accepted the symbolism of it.

Those things that got stuck in the mud at this time last year, that I was finding too much to bear, or felt saddened by or overwhelmingly inadequate in the face of, have evolved in the last twelve months to bring joy and richness in to my life. I'm glad that I got stuck with them, was forced to face them and work through them, they are what bring me most to life now. And are a source of great strength.

So, I don't have any water to release anything in to this evening, but this year that feels okay. I can feel that my body is able to contain all that it needs to bear, and knows what to do with it now. Maybe being in the countryside as I am, amongst trees, is where I should be, firmly rooted in the earth, connected and strong. 

I did manage to do the other part of my New Year ritual though, walking 2 miles to the nearest village today, to the old fashioned red post box and posting a letter to myself with all my intentions and hopes written down for the year ahead. I'll be opening the one that I posted to myself last year a little later on, with my half bottle of champagne, in the warmth of an open fire and curiously seeing which wishes came to life.

Good wishes to you all for 2009.
I hope it brings you all that you wish for.


A song that is very special to me, by the Tindersticks. 

8 comments:

Greenwoman said...

That's a lovely ritual. I've done similar ones myself. Even done so with my own hair and not paper.

I really felt touched by your ritual of sending yourself a letter with wishes in it...and then celebrating at the end of the year. A wonderful celebration.

I just may take that idea up myself.

I found the song beautiful. Thank you.

Greenwoman said...

Oh...and I forgot to mention just how much I loved that top image of the sky. Wow.

OliviaManners said...

Shannee, lovely Woman.

Hair is actually probably more considerate...littering the water with some paper compromised things a little, but watching something floating away did feel very comforting.

If you take up the idea yourself I hope you find it as hope giving as I have done in the past. It is quite amazing what happens when you put your intentions out in to the universe. And it is almost like a 12 month feedback to yourself, and being receptive to feedback has often enabled me to grow and learn.

I'm glad that both the song and image were of beauty and wow-ness to you!

Hugs for 2009 to you Shannee...and I hope there are many twinkling stars in your view.

Olivia
x

Eliane said...

From one water baby to another, Happy New Year. And thank you for sharing your beautiful rituals with us.

OliviaManners said...

hello eliane... fellow crab ;-)

Looking forward to some fun in 2009.

* smiles *

Olivia
x

Pandora Blake said...

From another cancerian water baby, your rituals are lovely ones. I've never really taken New Year seriously as a personal milestone - the themes of renewal, dedication, cleansing etc tend to take place, for me, at Samhain, the celtic new year.

Having said that, I didn't do any of my rituals at Samhain either, which is perhaps telling. I do however always use my personal LJ to celebrate the achievements of the last year and express my intentions/ambitions for the next one - similar to your letter to yourself, although less romantic, I think :)

You can always visit the Thames if you still feel the need for cleansing when you get back to London. Or perhaps that one is better saved until you've finished your thesis, and are embarking on the next phase of your life?

All the best for 2009 - and many warm *hugs* :)

The Headmaster said...

I especially like the idea of posting a letter to oneself with one's new year resolutions. Alas, it is rather late in the day for me. What isn't done now probably won't be!

Jake and Nomi's Spanking Delights said...

Oh wow! The Tindersticks are one of my favourite bands of all time. I have nearly all their Albums but I am a big fan of their first four more than the later ones. I saw them in concert a couple of times and they were so brilliant. I know that a couple of guys have left the group and so probably it won't be the same but they are so deep and moving with their songs that you just can't help loving them!

Happy 2009 and have a good time
Jake Kanehard